THALES ACADEMY CONDITIONAL USE PERMIT
Posted Oct 05, 2018:
Thank you to all citizens who have reached out with concerns. It is extremely helpful to hear where public concerns and interests lie, with regard to future development. Traffic is indeed a major concern in the area, and the ‘trips’ generated by a school require careful consideration. If you would like to send comments, please feel free to email me.
General Concept Plan
A conceptual plan for a Thales Academy, proposed at Marvin-Waxhaw Road and Stacie Howie Rd. (See UC GIS Report) was first presented to the Village of Marvin Council, in a general way, on August 9, 2018. Given that I was just recently appointed to fill a vacant Council seat, I am not sure how long ago the concept was introduced. I am also unsure about the degree to which families in the area would welcome this type of use. With this in mind, I welcome the opportunity to here directly from residents.
The Council must evaluate the proposal against four+ main findings of fact. Those findings being as follows:
(1) Whether the use will materially endanger the public health or safety if located where proposed and developed according to plan;
(2) Whether the use meets all required conditions and specifications;
(3) Whether the use will substantially injure the value of adjoining or abutting property or the use is a public necessity;
(4) Whether the location and character of the use, if developed according to the plan as submitted and approved, will be in harmony with the area in which it is to be located and will be in general conformity with this chapter and the Village Land Use Plan; and
(5) Whether the use meets with, or addresses, the criterium of the zoning code, as required.
Ability for Council Members to Comment
Unfortunately for me, and public officers like me (who like to hear resident input) a quasi-judicial hearing process means I will have to restrict my comments to the actual proceeding. It’s important I adhere to these procedural laws, so I can protect my ability to represent resident concerns and be able to cast a vote. I realize this may not provide the type of reassurance some would hope for. So, instead, it may help to look over my long-held views on development, and my experience in planning, detailed through my website.
Resident and Citizen Input
Because Council members will be restricted, in terms of what they know, or what they can say in this case, I strongly encourage residents to keep their eye on the development, as it moves through the process. Concerned residents should prepare to attend meetings and/or submit comments when the proposal is ready. However, comments for this process should be based in fact, statistics and calculations. If you haven’t done so already, you may want to sign-up to receive Village of Marvin Meeting Agenda alerts to keep up to date with Village deliberations.
I wish I could provide more information. But please know that, where the impacts of development are a concern, you’ll likely find me to be one of the more conservative voices on the Council. If I can answer any technical questions, ordinance questions, or process questions, please feel free to reach out any time! ~ Yours truly, Mary G. Shkut